Healthy Smoothies can be simple to make drinks. They are filled with nutrients and can be enjoyed throughout the day, as a healthy snack, or as a substitute for a meal. Smoothies are easily digestible and can be made within 5-10 minutes. You can use any of your favorite fruits, some vegetables, and a few other ingredients to make the best smoothie. So let your imagination run wild.
How do you make a great-tasting healthy smoothie?
You don’t have to think too much when making a smoothie. You can make great-tasting healthy smoothies from what you already have at home. You just have to add healthy and tasty ingredients to make an appealing blended drink. The ingredients you use can make it an immunity booster, or you can make it a perfect energizer following a rough workout.
Here are some tips that you can follow when making a great smoothie;
- Liquid as a base – You can use coconut water or filtered water as the liquid base. Non-dairy nut milk like cashew milk, almond milk, or oat milk will make your smoothie creamier. Try to avoid fruit juices as the liquid base because they typically have added sugars.
- Fruits – Fruits will give you vitamins and minerals as well as antioxidants. Frozen fruits will help you to avoid ice cubes in your smoothie, as ice may make your smoothie too watery. If you use frozen fruits for your smoothie, it will be naturally chilled and creamy. Frozen fruits can be made at home by chopping and freezing fresh fruit, or you can buy frozen fruit by the bag from a store.
- Vegetables and leafy greens – It is best to keep your greens fresh and clean. Kale or spinach will give your smoothie a dose of greens. You can even add frozen cauliflower or zucchini for extra nutrients and fiber.
- Healthy fats – a slice of avocado, seeds like chia and flax, a little almond butter, peanut butter, or coconut milk are healthy options containing healthy fats that will add to the taste and give you energy. Healthy fats help to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, such as vitamins A, D, E, K, and other nutrients from fruits and vegetables in your smoothie.
- Spices – your smoothie will get an extra boost if you add spices like cinnamon, turmeric, or ginger.
- Superfoods – These include goji berries, which are rich in antioxidants, bee honey, acai powder, and Maca powder. Acai powder is loaded with antioxidants and calcium. Maca powder contains minerals like calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and amino acids. Bee honey is rich in amino acids, vitamin B, and folic acid. It helps in many skin conditions, immunity, and digestion.
- Protein add-ins – Collagen powder can be added to your smoothie, especially after a workout, to give you that extra boost.
Making healthy smoothies is easy. It is just gathering the right ingredients and tossing them into a blender until you get a nice and creamy beverage. It is easily customized to your taste.
The most important tip is that it is best to drink your smoothie as soon as you make it, as it tastes fresh and chilled. If you leave it out for a long time, the color and taste may change.
Now let us look at some great-tasting recipes and their benefits:
Healthy Smoothie Recipes
The fruit combinations you can use are endless. You can make the most of what is available in season while having fun experimenting with new flavors and making them as colorful as you would like.
- Strawberry banana smoothie
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries
- ½ cup frozen banana
- 1 yogurt
- ¾ cup milk
It is better not to add any sugar because it will be sweet. However, if you have a sweet tooth, you can add 1tsp of honey. If you are a vegan, you will have to go for the dairy-free option. You can use coconut yogurt and instead of milk, use any dairy-free milk like cashew milk. Since the bananas are frozen, you won’t need to use ice. You can add some chia seeds or hemp seeds and maybe a little collagen powder for that extra boost.
Here are the benefits:
Strawberries are rich in vitamins (C and B complex), fiber, minerals (potassium), and antioxidants like polyphenols. It is low in calories and may help increase your good cholesterol (HDL), lower your blood pressure, and protect against cancer.
Bananas contain vitamins (B6 and C), minerals (potassium, magnesium, manganese), and fiber. They have a relatively low glycemic index, which means the rise of blood sugar after eating a banana is low. Therefore, it is healthy for diabetics. There is no evidence that bananas contribute to weight gain, and they are good for digestion. As it is rich in potassium, it is good for your cardiovascular health. However, if you suffer from kidney disease, avoid bananas because of the high potassium.
Milk is highly nutritious. It is rich in proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins (B2, B12, A, D), and minerals (calcium and potassium). Milk is helpful for your bone health and keeping your blood pressure in check. Yogurt contains lactobacillus and added probiotics to improve gut health.
If you want to go for a smoothie that is especially low in calories, here is one:
- Apple and carrot smoothie
- 1 cup coconut water
- ¾ cup frozen apple
- 1-2 baby carrots
- 1-2 tsp. bee honey or maple syrup
- Few chia seeds
Apple is rich in fiber, phytochemicals, and vitamin C. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that fight against chronic diseases, bowel disorders, and certain cancers. Apples can help reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) levels, and their fiber can prevent constipation.
Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A, which is good for your eyes. Carotenoids in carrots help protect you from certain cancers. As it lowers your LDL cholesterol, it is good for your heart, too.
Coconut water is a low-calorie drink that hydrates you well. It is high in potassium and has been shown to help reduce blood pressure.
If you are a green smoothie lover, here is a recipe for you:
- Spinach and pineapple smoothie
- 1 cup coconut milk or coconut water
- Handful of spinach (you can use kale, chard, mustard greens, romaine, celery, or dandelion greens, alternatively)
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- Pinch of cinnamon or ginger
Dark green leafy vegetables are rich in vitamins A, B, C, E, and K. They contain minerals like iron, calcium, and magnesium. Iron promotes hemoglobin formation, which is the protein transporting oxygen in your blood. Leafy greens promote bone health, and the antioxidants in them fight against aging and disease.
Coconut milk is high in calories. It will give you fats, minerals (calcium, potassium, magnesium), and energy. You can use this green smoothie as a post-workout drink. Add some protein powder to it for an extra boost.
Pineapple contains plenty of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. It is anti-inflammatory, promotes healing, aids digestion, and is a weight loss booster. It gives a great aroma and flavor to your smoothie.
If you are a chocolate lover, here’s a healthy smoothie for you:
- Chocolate banana smoothie
- 1 ripe banana – frozen
- 1-2 tsp. cocoa powder – unsweetened
- 1 tbs. peanut butter
- Vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
- 1 tsp. honey or maple syrup for extra sweetness
Almond milk gives you energy. It is rich in calcium, which is good for your bones. Iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc (other important minerals), as well as vitamin C, E, and B complex, are heart-friendly and help maintain healthy skin, fight infection, and boost immunity.
Cocoa is rich in polyphenols (antioxidants) that help reduce inflammation, control blood sugar, cholesterol levels, and are heart-friendly. Cocoa is also known to lift up your mood. Peanut butter is an excellent source of antioxidants, vitamins B and E, and manganese. It is heart-friendly and can help in controlling your weight, too. This smoothie is nutritious and enjoyed by children as well as adults.
Here is a smoothie that you can have for breakfast:
- Peach yogurt smoothie
- Few fresh peaches
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 frozen yogurt
- Few chia seeds
- A little Cinnamon powder
Peaches are rich in fiber, vitamins A and C, and potassium. They are known to improve digestion, reduce inflammation, and are heart-healthy. Vitamin A can help give you healthier eyes and smoother skin.
A good healthy smoothie recipe will give a new life to fruits and vegetables. There is no hard and fast rule. So, have fun tossing and blending your favorite ingredients together to make great-tasting and nutritious smoothies.